Thursday, December 05, 2013

A Special Finish


I had a special finish last night. It marks the first of a group project that I'm pretty excited about.  For the last little while I've felt the need to do something positive.  Run for the cure was a given but I really wanted to do for Junior that was cancer free because Cathey was so much more than a fighter.  Members of our local stitching group have wanted to do something as well but being 6 hours away an involved role is just a no go.  

So welcome to Project Junior,  the goal of this project is to ensure that there is a stitched ornament every year until he is 20.  For the local group it also means attempting to use some of his mom's fabric and fibres to create these ornaments (where I will be coordinating sending the ornament out I will not be sending our supplies outside of the city). The goal is to hopefully create enough now to disperse throughout the years. However, one ornament a year in the event there isn't uptake from the group isn't a huge thing to take on.  Luckily there are a couple of people I know will help me make that happen ;). It is quite possible that there will be more than one a year, but with any child related project, it has to be has to be a full on commitment.  The response so far from our group has been overwhelmingly positive so here's to many years of keeping Cathey's stitching spirit alive.

Now on to this year's ornament that's popping in the mail tomorrow:

Until next time,

Katie

13 comments:

Christina said...

What a wonderful sentiment. The ornament is adorable.

Wendy S. said...

What a wonderful thing to be doing!

Justine said...

What a wonderful idea. Using Cathey's own supplies makes it even more precious. And I love the cute ornament you stitched.

stitchersanon said...

Brilliant and I love the fact that it isnt cancer related. We are so much more than a cancer diagnosis. If one more person says to me 'because of your medical history'...well I have only had a diagnosis for two years...there are a whole 41 years more history behind that! I think what you are doing is perfect. I wonder if you might consider letting others join in? Perhaps send ornies to you to pass on to Junior. I would be happy to organise it rather than add to your workload. Just a thought xxxxx

Catherine said...

This is wonderful!! I love that you are using her own supplies ~ fabulous way to keep her spirit alive for JR!

Katie said...

Yes I would be open to that :)

Valma said...

What a beautiful project
Cathey must be very happy from where she is and each ornament will be very precious
this penguin is very cute
I stitched it too =)
xxx

valerie said...

Katie, what a great way to honor Cathey and keep her spirit alive for Junior. That's an adorable first ornie for him!

Carol said...

Oh,such a wonderful idea, Katie! I know the ornaments stitched by you and your friends will be something he'll look forward to year after year.

Lovely little penguin :)

Vickie said...

Oh wow! I had wondered if possibly you might be involved in using some of her supplies or finishing pieces of hers. This is just fabulous. How heart warming. This penguin is so very precious.

Katie, you left a comment on my blog. Thank you. I could not respond directly to your comment, as you are a no-reply commenter. You can change that on your dashboard. You go all the way to the left and click on you picture for the profile page. Then you click on Edit profile at the far right. Click on show my email address and SAVE profile all the way at the bottom.

Julie said...

A very special idea to be using Cathey's stash for special projects for her little one.

Annette said...

What a awesome idea.
Really great and so sweet.
Dear Cathey is such a lucky woman to have so many awesome friends.
That now laos will look after her cute boy

Anonymous said...

Katie that is such a wonderful idea for Junior, I love the penquin ornament in fact I made 2 of him this year for each of my grandchildren. Have a Merry Christmas. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of Cathey.. I looked forward to her blog posts..