Tuesday, September 07, 2004

First Stress free Long Weekend in a LONG time

This holiday weekend was great, my parents were in town helping my brother move so we had some great company, the only company I feel truly at ease with in my home. I started stitching the Dragon Dreams Generosity series on Friday and decluttered the basement some more on Saturday.

Sunday came all too quickly and mom and dad headed back to the Miramichi after having lunch with my grandmother for her 84th birthday. The other set of grandparents couldn't make it down Sunday as expected, the joys of working for yourself, so DH and I packed up DS and headed down the the FREX (Fredericton Exhibition).

After a couple of rides we convinced DS that it was time to do something that mommy wanted to do, check out the exhibits, especially as I had some entries in. I had high hopes last year, I thought I was a shoe in (it was my first year and I didn't know what to expect) but this year I had no expectations. As we entered I was elated, I could see my finished Mirabilia's Titania down in the back corner with a nice red ribbon on her. As I went through and checked out the other exhibits that I'd entered I felt connected with my 104 year old great grandmother that passed away this year. She was an amazing crafter, skilled in any handicraft imaginable and wanting to be more like her spurred my passion for learning to cross stitch and now taking up hardanger. Six ribbons later for handicrafts and baking later I knew she would have been proud. Now if I was only half the quilter that she was...

No comments: